We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
In 1920, Marc Chagall was invited by Efros to the Jewish Chamber Theater to create the scenery. It was planned that the scenery will be created based on miniatures of the works of Sholom Aleichem. During the inspection of the premises of the theater, the artist suddenly announced that he was ready to additionally paint the walls. Thus, seven panels appeared on the walls, which were previously written on canvas. Unfortunately, it was not possible to save the technique of the lost ceiling.
The panel “Introduction to the New Jewish Theater” was huge - it reached three meters in height and eight in length. It depicts commedia del arte. In the immediate vicinity of the tablets of the Gospel, the author placed himself. Among the characters depicted, we can consider the violinist, whose head fell off in the hat of a clown, as well as two clowns who walk in their arms, one of them is a devout Jew with tefilim. The panel is made in the manner characteristic of Chagall - a green cow that falls from a height (we can see it in the left corner in the picture). Translated from Yiddish - horns meant - someone is playing a musical instrument. In addition to the center canvas, 4 more canvases were painted.
Until 1923, all panels were in place. In 1937, the panel was hidden behind the stage of the theater. Once again, they were deployed only in 1973 for the author who specially came to Moscow. They were first signed by him. After restoration, they were put on display in Switzerland in 1991. Now the paintings are touring the world, but their main place of storage is the Tretyakov Gallery.
Arlesian Van Gogh